Beef Shawarma Pita Sandwich
Trim fat from lamb. Combine 2 cups onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through thyme) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add lamb to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally. Remove lamb from bag; discard marinade.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place lamb on a broiler pan; insert meat thermometer into thickest portion of lamb. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until thermometer registers 145° (medium-rare) to 160° (medium). Let stand 15 minutes. Slice lengthwise into thin strips.
Spread each pita with about 2 1/2 tablespoons Yogurt-Tahini Dip. Divide lamb, red onion, mint, tomato, and pickles evenly among each pita; roll up. Serve immediately.
- 1½ pounds boned leg of lamb
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 6 pitas
- Yogurt-Tahini Dip
- ½ cup red onion slices, separated into rings
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 12 (¼-inch-thick) slices tomato, halved
- 3 gherkin pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
Use it with our products
- Pita - Traditional - Almadina White
- Pita - Traditional - Almadina Whole Wheat
- Pita - Traditional - Alwatan White
- Pita - Traditional - Alwatan Whole Wheat
- Pita - Traditional - Arabic White
- Pita - Traditional - Arabic Whole Wheat
- Pita - Traditional - Breadko White
- Pita - Traditional - Breadko Whole Wheat